The Westerley Winter Warmer is on Sunday 14th January 2018.
Entry is free for club members, non-members may sign up via Rider HQ using the button below
There are three versions:
- The main route is 108km in length with just under 1200m of climbing.
- Or it is possible to turn left at Great Kingshill, cutting out the farthest loop to do the medium version which is 60km. This misses out the bigger climbs of the main Chiltern ridge but has the pleasant climb up Hatches Lane from the Hughenden Valley as well as a good few shorter ones. It has 528m of ascent in total.
- Finally, the short route turns at Penn to miss out all the big climbs and also the main road sections, giving a 44km route with 440m of climbing.
- Freith Hill
- Bledlow Ridge
- Loosley Hill
- Hatches Lane
Click here for:
The routes will also be signposted with numerous orange arrows. Please note that, occasionally, a couple of the arrows have been taken down by members of the public before some riders got to them so they are best seen as guidance rather than a foolproof way of navigating.
You can enter all three distances via Rider HQ here:
The event takes place on public roads so normal care and attention is required. However, there are a few specific hazards we’d like to draw your attention to:
3. Hatches Lane climb: ‘narrow and mucky’
4. Noakes lane / Crown Lane climb, leading up towards Penn. Again pot holes and mucky.
5. Pauls Hill descent (past the Royal Standard pub) – patchy road surface. (Update, (November) this seems better this year)
On the day
The HQ for the event is: Chalfont St Peter Scout Hut
It is located right next to the Community Centre. Click here for a map.
There is plenty of car parking space nearby. Please use either of the public car parks nearby (free on Sundays) not the one for the Community Centre as other people use the Centre during the day. It’s unlikely but, if they fill up, then there is a very big one a mile or so away by Gerrards Cross railway station.
The HQ will be open from 8:00 with the riders for the longer route off at 9:00 and the shorter routes at 10:00. There will be tea and coffee available before the ride and a selection of food at the end.All rides close at 3:30pm. If you think you are going to be later than that – or if you decide to abandon – please call us on 07909 681 661.
See Simon Oxenham’s great video of the 2016 event here