RANDOM IMAGES FROM BYGONE DAYS
The Westerley Cycling Club was formed in 1924 as the racing arm of the Western Section of the Cycling Touring Club (CTC) in London. At the time the CTC was very popular but not, principally, involved with racing so this was a way of incorporating racing, mainly time trialling, without members needing to sever their links with the CTC. The first President was A Hall in 1924, followed by W.F.Lucia from 1925 to 1927.After this Will Townsend OBE held the presidency from 1928 all the way to 2007, almost 80 years!. The club has had several names, mainly changed during the early days to avoid confusion with other clubs in existence as knowledge of all other club names would not have been easy to access in that era. From Western Wheelers, to Western Elite it became Westerley Road Club within a few of those early years. In 2003 it became Westerley Cycling Club.