The June 2020 Westerley CC Lockdown Challenge – a cracking new club initiative for summer, outdoors and in
HOW MANY CHALLENGES CAN YOU TICK OFF AND POINTS CAN YOU SCORE DURING JUNE?
STARTER RIDE GPX FILE DOWNLOAD – 50km and 5 Segments from the Polish war Memorial SCORES 30 POINTS (A40, Pinewood, Denham Golf Club, Burtons Lane, Harefield Climb)
85km RIDE GPX FILE DOWNLOAD – 85.2km PAST WINDSOR 4 Segments from the Polish War Memorial– SCORES 25 POINTS (A40, Datchet, Lyne, Fifield)
71km RIDE GPX FILE DOWNLOAD – 71.3km ORBIT SLOUGH 4 or 5 Segments from the Polish war Memorial SCORES 25 or 30 POINTS (A40, Datchet, Dorney Common, Burnham Beeches plus optional Pinewood with a small retrace)
92km RIDE GPX FILE DOWNLOAD – 92.3km LONGDOWN HILL 1 Segment from the Polish War Memorial SCORES 10 POINTS (Longdown Hill Climb)
132km RIDE GPX FILE DOWNLOAD – 132.2km SURREY HILLS 4 Segments from the Polish War Memorial SCORES 30 POINTS (Argyle Road, Bushy Park, Box Hill, Coombe Bottom)
With summer here and the chance to ride outside, we thought we’d introduce another club initiative to keep you all amused during June. As not everyone has the equipment to be able to participate in our virtual program, outdoor types, this is your chance to participate in our Lockdown Leaderboard . Yes, the easing of lock-down and the nice weather mean it is possible to ride outdoors solo regularly; so step forward Tarmac Terrestrials and show the Virtual Velominati what you can do!
Yes, this is something that offers everybody a chance of competing for: THE JUNE 2020 WESTERLEY CC LOCKDOWN CHALLENGE
There are a number of ways of scoring points, and we suspect that nobody will be able to complete every single one, so opportunity knocks, could you win the challenge? Try it and see.
5 points per 50km total aggregate distance ridden in June on outdoor rides
5 bonus points will be awarded to the member climbing the most metres during June on outdoor rides only.
5 points per qualifying Strava segment below
1 bonus point for the person recording the quickest time during June on any qualifying Strava segment below NOW WITHDRAWN AS BRITISH CYCLING THINK IT MAY BE SEEN AS A RACE AND INSURANCE WOULD BE INVALIDATED .
5,up to 26 points for participating on 1 to 4 of our June Sunday club rides on Zwift
1.REAL LIFE OUTDOOR RIDES RECORDED ON STRAVA
YOUR PERSONAL DIY RIDES DURING JUNE RECORDED ON STRAVA AND PUBLISHED IN THE WESTERLEY CC CLUB LISTING ON STRAVA (WESTERLEY CC MEMBERS ONLY) DURING JUNE 2020. Private unpublished rides will not count. You will need to notify Dave Morrison of your claim, either by contacting him via Strava or Facebook, or alternatively using the Contact Button Facility on the Westerley CC website. All claims must be made by Saturday 4th July. Club members only.
5 POINTS PER 50km ridden in June and recorded in the Westerley CC Strava Club Group during June 2020. 5 bonus points will be awarded to the member climbing the most metres during June on outdoor rides only. Make sure your rides are on Strava and keep a record (spreadsheet may be best) for your claim (date, details, relevant segments etc) and claim your points at the end of the month.
There is a list of Strava Segments below, if you ride any of these, record it and claim points at the end of the month as described above.The selected Strava Segments score 5 POINTS EACH (but a segment can only be counted once – repeats score zero). The fastest person recorded on any segment will receive 1 bonus point.
- RUISLIP TO HILLINGDON SPRINT (RUISLIP/NOTHOLT) 2.3km Along the A40 by Northolt Airport starting at the Polish War Memorial. https://www.strava.com/segments/2497850 There is a video of this on the Westerley CCYouTube Channel
- BOX HILL ROUNDABOUT TO CAFÉ (SURREY HILLS) 2.84% at 5% average. https://www.strava.com/segments/1241222 There is a video of this on the Westerley CC YouTube Channel
- COMBE BOTTOM CLIMB HELL (SURREY HILLS) 1.28km at 8% average North of Shere https://www.strava.com/segments/1262867 There is a video of this on the Westerley CC YouTube Channel
- HHC019 LONGDOWN HILL (CHILTERNS) 1km average 5% North of Great Missenden – the Westerley CC Hill Climb course.https://www.strava.com/segments/803173
- KICK PAST THE STATION (DENHAM GOLF CLUB CLIMB) 1.05km average 3% one of our favourite escape routes towards the Chilterns on Rectory Lane Denham. https://www.strava.com/segments/7698789 There is a video of this on the Westerley CC YouTube Channel
- BURTONS BIG DIPPER (LITTLE CHALFONT) 0.76KM another of those popular Chiltern escape roads https://www.strava.com/segments/18471843 There is a video of this on the Westerley CC YouTube Channel
- HAWTHORN LANE WEST (BEDFORD DR TO GROVE RD) – (BURNHAM BEECHES) 1.59km average -1% a ride around he perimeter of Burnham Beeches another popular club ride road https://www.strava.com/segments/7142315 There is a video of this on the Westerley CC YouTube Channel
- WESTBOUND FILMSTAR FLYBY (PINEWOOD STUDIOS IVER HEATH) 1.02km flat https://www.strava.com/segments/12166826 There is a video of this on the Westerley CC YouTube Channel
- ALMNERS ROAD EAST – LYNE LANE ( SOUTH OF EGHAM, SURREY) 1.07km Flat as used on our Lyne club rides https://www.strava.com/segments/5935399 There is a video of this on the Westerley CC YouTube Channel
- DATCHET TO OLD WINDSOR SPRINT 1.92km flat. A well known route out to the Windsor area. https://www.strava.com/segments/1680605 There is a video of this on the Westerley CC YouTube Channel
- DRIFT ROAD – FIFIELD LANE (WINDSOR AREA) 2.09km flatish. Well known TT and Crit course SW of Windsor. https://www.strava.com/segments/4458077
- BUSHY PARK (HEADING SOUTH) – (HAMPTON) 1.56km 0% A ride in the park! https://www.strava.com/segments/2415356 There is a video of this on the Westerley CC YouTube Channel
- ARGYLE ROAD CLIMB 1ST RAB TO 2ND RAB (EALING) 0.46km average 1% Something close to home for the Ealing contingent and near our annual club dinner venue. https://www.strava.com/segments/3375994 There is a video of this on the Westerley CC You Tube Channel
- MT.PLEASANT – COPPER MILL – PARK LANE – HAREFIELD (THE CLIMB FROM THE OAKS, VIA THE COY CARP UP TO HAREFIELD) 2.38km 2% average (but the first part is flat) https://www.strava.com/segments/1823791 There is a video of this on the Westerley CC YouTube Channel
- GRID TO GRID (ETON WICK TO DORNEY) – (DORNEY COMMON) 1.12km flat. This can be windy, so sometimes more challenging than it might appear. https://www.strava.com/segments/782640 There is a video of this on the Westerley CC YouTube Channel
MAKE SURE YOU RIDE THEM IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OR THEY WON’T COUNT!
2. SUNDAY CLUB RIDES ON ZWIFT AT 9.21am (June 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th)
1 Sunday Virtual Club Ride – 5 POINTS
2 Sunday Virtual Club Rides – 11 POINTS
3 Sunday Virtual Club Rides – 18 POINTS
4 Sunday Virtual Club Rides – 26 POINTS